Thursday, January 15, 2015

GFS update : Change required to run WRF

GFS Analysis and Forecast System has been upgraded wef 1200 UTC, January 14, 2015. Your WRF forecast is likely to fail if you have not yet updated your scripts. Please do the following changes in order for the run to be successful.

Update your Vtable after downloading from this command/link
wget http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/src/Vtable.GFS_new

GFS file naming conventions have also been changed, you need to download either of the file instead of gfs.t00z.pgrb2f00

You can download any of the file.
gfs.t00z.pgrb2.0p25.f000 : 0.25 degree
gfs.t00z.pgrb2.0p50.f000 : 0.50 degree
gfs.t00z.pgrb2.1p00.f000 : 1.00 degree
gfs.t00z.pgrb2.2p20.f000 : 2.50 degree

Please note that all gridded pressure GRIB files (*pgrb*) will be up to 20 minutes late. Therefore you will have to adjust your crontab to download the files.

Ungrib and metgrid may be successful but failing to change Vtable may stop real or wrf run or you may have NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 error.

Please leave your comments if you have any query

9 comments:

  1. Hi,
    As you write I get this "NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 error." when I'm trying to run WRF with the new data (gfs.t00z.pgrb2.1p00.f000 : 1.00 degree), even though I have downloaded the new Vtable.

    I am linking to it as: ln -sf ungrib/Variable_Tables/Vtable.GFS_new Vtable.
    I must be missing something obviously. Do you have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Best regards, Müller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Muller,
      I am not sure how your wps directory has been organised,
      Just check your Vtable in your working directory (directory where you have your namelist), it should be linked tVtable.GFS_new

      Another thing you can check that you are not downloading the pgrb2b files.

      Other than this I don't see any reason why you would get this error.

      Regards
      Vikas

      Delete
    2. had same problems; try
      ftp//ftp.ncep.noaa.gov.pup.data.nccf.com/gfs/prod/gfs.2015011500/gfs.t00z.pgrb2full.0p50.f000

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I changed the Vtable and now I don't get the NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 error any more. But I still have an error due to a different num_metgrid_levels (47 instead of 48) in one gfs file. Did you got an error like this? And in case, have you found a solution?
    Thanks in advance,
    Best regards, Alberto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great!!! Thanks from El Salvador!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everybody, I have downloaded the new Vtable, with gfs.t00z.pgrb2full.0p50.f000, and have the same NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 error

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please check you have linked the new Vtable correctly

      Delete
    2. Solved for me.

      Hi all,

      I have dealt with the same problem (NUM_METGRID_SOIL_LEVELS = 0 error). I couldn't found any concrete solution anywhere, because it is not a clear problem as long as there are people who has found it and people who not.
      For those that have it as me try to do this exercise: download the complete GFS files (approx. 65MB each one). Then try to run WPS and WRF again. The problem should desappear. That is because probably you as me are downloading a subset of variables from GFS. As long as these files have change probably we are missing soil moisture, and even though the VTable.GFS_new is correct the complete needed data are not available.
      I still have no investigated which variables should I add to my old request to nomads server. If someone could help on these it could be nice.
      Sorry for the extension.

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    Thanks from Czech Republic.
    I am new to WRF and also to Linux. I have already had some issues with GFS files so I used another files.
    Now, I used this help:
    http://lundquistgroup.blogspot.cz/2014/04/using-input-datasets-in-real-wrf-runs.html
    and these files:
    http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds083.2/index.html#sfol-wl-/data/ds083.2?g=22015

    and by running ./real.exe it has error of mismatch of number of soil levels in met_em files and namelist.input or something like that.

    but with new GFS table the real.exe runs correctly.

    ReplyDelete