Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Solution: rootnoverify (hd0,0), chainloader +1, NTLDR is missing problem in xp

I always run out of Disk space in my laptop. Recently I installed one application and rebooted the system and got the following error.

----------------
Booting 'Windows Xp home'

rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
----------------

wow!! I was shocked to see this message as I was working I thought something went wrong, HHD failure or partition got corrupted.

Actually I have Fedora core and Win Xp installed in my Laptop, I read some forums and found that the problem could be due to dual operating system I have on my PC, but I could not understand why. Well having double OS helped me to backup my data, as I could access my NTFS partition from fedora.

I checked the partitions from the linux and everything was fine, After googling more I found that there is different problem. Since I always run out of space, the files of the newly installed softwares were written on fragmented hard disk. This problem was occurred because my MFT root folder was severely fragmented. If the MFT root folder contains many files, the MFT may become so fragmented that an additional allocation index is created. Because files are mapped alphabetically in the allocation indexes, the NTLDR file may be pushed to the second allocation index. When this occurs, I got the error message.

The I did exactly what was written on MS website, but the problem was to get the bootable floppy/CD/USB key with right boot.ini and NTLDR file. I tried with USB key and CD but was not successful at all, with USB I was getting error "No operating system found" I tried many combination but no Success.

The searching more and more I found this solution and workaround which was very easy to apply and finally I could boot my Xp..

The full method is described here

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Do not forget to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to your C:/ or windows home directory.

You can also try because most of the times this problem is cause due to roxio Easy media creator 9, 10 or 2009.

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000061GN&PARAMS=set-locale=en

Additional help
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/

2 comments:

  1. its chainloader +1 instead of chainleader +1 .....mr. vikas

    ReplyDelete